It’s easy to assume that insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Drivers who get price comparisons are very likely to switch companies because of the high probability of getting low-cost coverage. A recent survey revealed that people who make a habit of shopping around saved about $860 a year compared to policyholders who never compared prices.
If finding the lowest price for Mazda MPV insurance is your ultimate goal, then learning a little about how to get price quotes and compare insurance coverage can help make the process easier.
The best way to save money on Mazda MPV insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from different companies who can sell car insurance in Orlando. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
- First, learn about how auto insurance works and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many risk factors that increase rates such as inattentive driving and a bad credit rating can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Read the full article for more details to find cheap rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing policy to determine if you can save on MPV insurance. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new company. Immediately upon receiving it, put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
The most important part of shopping around is to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Lower rate quotes on Mazda MPV insurance in Orlando with these seven discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list every possible discount in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has both well-publicized and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Telematics Devices – Orlando drivers who agree to allow driving data submission to scrutinize driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
- Online Discount – Certain auto insurance companies may give you up to $50 for completing your application on the web.
- Sign Early and Save – Select insurance companies give a discount for buying a policy prior to your current MPV insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Active Military Service – Being on active deployment in the military could qualify you for better auto insurance rates.
- Drive Less and Save – Maintaining low annual mileage may enable drivers to earn discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Accident-free drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Orlando auto insurance quote than drivers with accident claims.
- Professional Organizations – Participating in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could trigger savings on your next renewal.
You can save money using discounts, but most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Florida, click here.
What insurance coverages do you need?
Having a good grasp of a insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are typical coverage types found on most insurance policies.
Comprehensive insurance – This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from getting keyed, theft, damage from flooding and hail damage. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses like rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits, funeral costs, chiropractic care and surgery. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many Florida drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (10/20/10 in Florida), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision coverage – This coverage covers damage to your MPV resulting from a collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things like scraping a guard rail, crashing into a ditch, sideswiping another vehicle and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your MPV to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability – This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property by causing an accident. It protects you against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 10/20/10 which means $10,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $20,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, funeral expenses, loss of income and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Florida requires drivers to carry at least 10/20/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Shop around and save
When getting Orlando auto insurance quotes online, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price.
You just learned some good ideas how you can shop for Mazda MPV insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices come from a lesser-known regional company. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Orlando Auto Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Silverado in Orlando? (FAQ)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)