Unthinkable but true, most consumers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just short of a majority have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. Consumers in Florida could save about 55% a year, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to shop their coverage around.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find cheaper quotes for Chevy Volt insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers in Orlando. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Learn about how insurance works and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates for many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your current policy premium to see if cheaper Volt coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this guarantees a fair price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Companies offering Chevy Volt insurance in Florida
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Orlando, FL. If you want cheap auto insurance in Orlando, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you might find some hidden discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of quoting, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, you are just wasting money.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Select auto insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy a life policy as well.
- College Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Orlando and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Government Employee Discount – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Orlando car insurance but check with your company.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new Volt may earn a small discount because new vehicles are generally safer.
- E-sign – A few insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on the web.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one isn’t a discount, but companies like State Farm and GEICO permit an accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Driver Education Discount – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. But any discount will definitely reduce your overall bill.
A list of auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- AAA discounts include education and occupation, multi-car, good student, pay-in-full, good driver, AAA membership discount, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include bundle discounts, mature driver, business and professional, electronic funds transfer, homeowner, and early shopping.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-theft, air bags, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, multi-policy, and driver training.
- Esurance has savings for DriveSense, good driver, renters, homeowner, Switch & Save, online quote, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-theft, drive less, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, and teen safety rewards.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, safe vehicle, good student, student away at school, and passive restraint.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in Orlando. To see a list of insurance companies with significant discounts in Orlando, click this link.
Insurance Price Influencing Factors
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that help determine your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that could result in big savings. Lots of things are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent such as whether you are married or your commute time.
- Low physical damage deductibles cost more – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a windshield shattered by a rock, collision with an animal, or theft. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Rates increase with policy add-ons – There are a lot of add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t diligent. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. They may seem good initially, but if you don’t need them remove them and pocket the money.
- Liability protection limits should be high – The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you if a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Cars with good safety ratings cost less to insure – Vehicles that have high safety ratings cost less to insure. The safest vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower injury rates means your insurance company pays less which can result in lower premiums.
- The higher your credit history the lower your costs – Having a bad credit rating can be a huge factor in determining your rates. Insureds with excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than those with worse credit. If your credit score is low, you could be paying less to insure your Chevrolet Volt by improving your rating.
- City dwellers may pay more – Residing in areas with lower population has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. People who live in big cities tend to have congested traffic and a longer drive to work. Less people translates into fewer accident claims in addition to lower liability claims.
- Having a spouse equates to better prices – Being married actually saves money when buying auto insurance. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more responsible and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Performance impacts insurance rates – The performance of the car or truck you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The lowest performance passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Chevy Volt claim probability – Insurers use statistical claims data when they file their rates in each state. Models that the data shows to have higher loss trends will have increased rates. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Chevy Volt vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, equals 100. Values below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Volt Vehicles Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Volt Electric 89 83 81 71 73 90BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in Florida?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
You may want advice from an insurance agency
Some consumers just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with local agencies is definitely important in Orlando.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Orlando who will gladly provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Shown below is a short list of insurers in Orlando that can give you price quotes for Chevy Volt insurance in Orlando.
Choosing the best provider requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How are they compensated?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- How many years have they been established?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Which family members are covered?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
Affordable auto insurance is out there
Budget-conscious Chevy Volt insurance can be purchased from both online companies and with local Orlando insurance agents, so you need to quote Orlando car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who do not offer online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price.
We just covered a lot of techniques to reduce Chevy Volt insurance prices online in Orlando. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Chevrolet Volt rate quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices come from the smaller companies.
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for College Graduates in Orlando? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Equinox in Orlando? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for State Employees in Orlando? (FAQ)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)