It’s an obvious statement that auto insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. People who get price quotes annually are highly likely to buy a new policy because they stand a good chance of finding good coverage at a lower price. A study discovered that people who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved $72 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the best price on auto insurance in Orlando is your objective, understanding the best way to compare cheaper coverage can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
If you want to save money, the best way to save on car insurance rates in Orlando is to do a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in Florida.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the factors you can control to lower rates. Many risk factors that cause high rates like multiple speeding tickets and an imperfect credit history can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Read the full article for the details to help prevent expensive coverage and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. View rates
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper coverage is available. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new insurance company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the new certificate verifying coverage in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing identical coverage information on each quote request and and to get quotes from every insurance company. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Locating the best rates in Orlando is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you are already insured, you will surely be able to get lower rates using the ideas you’re about to read. Comparison shoppers only have to learn the most efficient way to shop for insurance online from multiple companies.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Orlando, FL. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Orlando, we suggest you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,430||$715||$119|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,222||$611||$102|
|Ford F-150 FX2 2WD||$1,348||$674||$112|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,510||$755||$126|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,140||$570||$95|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$1,370||$685||$114|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,482||$741||$124|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2-Dr||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,400||$700||$117|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Toyota RAV4 2WD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Florida minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in your specific Orlando location which can decrease or increase price quotes considerably.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Even though rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability in order to be legal. In Florida these limits are 10/20/10 which means you must have $10,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average driver in Florida is overpaying over $830 a year so it’s important to compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Get discounts on Orlando auto insurance
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Some discounts will apply at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Early Switch Discount – Some larger companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a family member in the military may lower your rates slightly.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can get a discount up to 10%.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids living away from Orlando attending college and do not take a car to college can be insured at a reduced rate.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Driver’s Ed – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning a house in Orlando can save a few bucks due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
One last thing about discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, good student, and passive restraint.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for mature driver, multi-car, good student, switch companies, pay in full, business and professional, and homeowner.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, defensive driver, multi-policy, emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, and anti-lock brakes.
- American Family may include discounts for TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, good driver, mySafetyValet, and bundled insurance.
- Nationwide discounts include accident-free, Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, business or organization, easy pay, anti-theft, and good student.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every insurance company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your state. For a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Florida, click here to view.
Can’t I compare prices from local Orlando auto insurance agents?
Certain consumers prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the quote information is submitted to agents in your area who will give you bids to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on a company should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Orlando?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- How many years have they been established?
Multiple types of car insurance agents in Orlando
If you want to buy auto insurance from a good insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents from which to choose. Orlando agents are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can write policy coverage, but it is a good idea to know the subtle differences since it may influence the selection process.
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to the brand name rather than having the cheapest rates.
The following are Orlando exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Bill Cordy – State Farm Insurance Agent
2737 N Hiawassee Rd – Orlando, FL 32818 – (407) 298-9996 – View Map
- Michael Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
9161 Narcoossee Rd Ste 207 – Orlando, FL 32827 – (407) 208-9930 – View Map
- Bill Bryan – State Farm Insurance Agent
5470 Central Florida Pkwy – Orlando, FL 32821 – (407) 239-4777 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent do not work for one specific company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies.
If you need lower rates, you definitely need to contact a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options. Most have the option of insuring with companies that do not advertise much which can save you money.
Shown below are independent insurance agents in Orlando who can help you get price quotes.
- Corkhill Insurance Agency, LLC
20 S Bumby Ave – Orlando, FL 32803 – (407) 898-8891 – View Map
- Brightway Insurance, The Ourso Agency
4100 Edgewater Dr – Orlando, FL 32804 – (407) 901-0040 – View Map
- Gingerbread Insurance Agency
8000 S Orange Ave #201 – Orlando, FL 32809 – (407) 309-9949 – View Map
After you get good feedback to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have found an insurance agency that can be relied on to service your policy.
Car insurance coverages and their meanings
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 10/20/10 that means you have a limit of $10,000 per injured person, a total of $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like emergency aid, loss of income, bail bonds, medical expenses and attorney fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Florida requires drivers to carry at least 10/20/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like EMT expenses, chiropractic care and prosthetic devices. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for claims such as damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 10/20/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like hitting a bird, hail damage and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Auto insurance savings summarized
Low-cost auto insurance in Orlando can be bought both online and with local Orlando insurance agents, so you need to quote Orlando car insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When shopping online for auto insurance, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced collision coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, denial of a claim, poor customer service and even extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies can be pretty painless.
To read more, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Orlando Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds in Orlando? (FAQ)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)